June 22, 2008

"If you build it, he will come"


I think I have changed my mind on when I will do the baby's room. Right now it is a junk room/office/storage facility for our toilet for the bathroom I'm hoping my husband will finish. I had always told myself to not do the room until we get the referral and we know who we are painting it for. My plan was that it would keep me busy while I am going crazy waiting to be able to travel. The thing is, I'm going crazy now. Just joking, not quite yet. But, I do have time now and my referral will probably come in the fall when I'm busy in a new semester of teaching. I have four days off coming up plus two weeks off in August and my new plan is to do the baby's room early! I don't think I will go too crazy with decorating though, just painting and flooring.

We were at the picnic for "Families with Children from Africa" in Vancouver this week-end. It was so great to meet the people I always chat to online and and all the Ethiopian children were just too adorable (sorry no pictures, i didn't want to look too crazy photographing other people's children). Something about being there made me just want to start on the baby's room though.
I honestly think that if I build it our referral will come!!! Of course, that's probably because it's going to take awhile to do....

8 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

I painted last summer... and we're still waiting for our referral... and I'm not the tiniest bit sorry. It's fun to do little things here and there.

We're just holding off on the big ticket items like the crib until we have a referral - if the room was COMPLETELY done, I think going into it would just make me more impatient.

Your adoring fans would love to see progress pictures as you go! :)

June 23, 2008 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!

Nomi

June 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

That's exactlt how I looked at it! Wow! While it didn't happen right away, it did happen ~ soon Momma, soon!

June 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger hazel said...

Great idea, start on it now, at your leisure, with no pressure. It will help while away a few days of waiting. I'm a firm believer in the 'build it and it will come' mantra. In fact I need to follow it more myself.

June 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I say go for it. Little bits and pieces at a time. No point leaving everything to the last minute :)

June 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

DO IT! When we moved into our house 4 years ago we started calling the bedroom across from ours "The Babies Room". We left it empty for 6 months, the longer it took us to conceive the more junk accumulated in "The Babies Room" ... During our homestudy we clean it out, did flooring and painted it. We even moved the crib into it with bedding and all before our dossier went to ETH. There were days I'd shake my fist at the closed door, there were days I'd sit in the middle of the floor and cry, and there were days when I'd go in there and play with "the babies" toys.

I love the "If you build it, he will come" mindset. A baby is in your future, no matter what. Might as well get ready for him!
Oh, and I'm sorry I was too lazy to get my camera out. I would've loved pictures of everyone.

June 24, 2008 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger The Warren Family said...

I love the title of your post! Maybe I need to start getting a room ready.

June 26, 2008 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

You can always trust Kevin Costner for some good and sound inspiration! Really though, I think that it is a great way to look at it. What color are you going to paint? We are so excited to meet the little guy!

June 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home