April 24, 2008

Is there a purpose in writing letters?

Whatever happened with all of those letters we sent? Well, I never actually received a response back from my MP or the CIC, however, several people in my yahoo group did get emails back and even met with their MPs. At first the letters back from CIC were quite patronizing and told us nothing that we didn't already know (basically excuses). But since then we have suddenly seen medicals and visas being issued at a faster speed than we have ever seen before! This is huge! We even have an insider who has told us that CIC is trying to speed things up and make things more efficient (thanks C!).

Just last Friday there were 20 visas issued to parents adopting from Ethiopia. In the past year that I've been on our forum we maybe see 1 visa or medical a month, NEVER 20 issued in one day. So, from this, we are concluding that the government has listened and that the people at CIC are now trying to stay true to their word by truly making adoptive children a priority.

So THANK YOU to everyone who wrote a letter! I'm now praying that with 20 families that can now travel there will be more referrals coming our way for all the families who have been waiting for so long.

Thanks again for sending in a letter, It really did make a difference and children are now spending less time in care. I remember when we started writing letters.... I felt like Jo in Little Women. Remember when Marmee is upset about what happened at school and she immediately says to Jo, "I'm going to write him a letter" and Jo sarcastically remarks, "A letter. That'll show 'em." I honestly didn't think any of this would make much of a difference, but it really has. Maybe there really is a purpose in writing letters afterall! I love Little Women!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Warren Family said...

I noticed things seemed to be going faster since then as well.
Power in numbers I guess!

April 24, 2008 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Is Eight Enough? said...

Emily,

Funny! I was just thinking today that I could let my little girls read my copy of Little Women - the one I read when I was a child!

Justine

April 24, 2008 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

The progress has been WONDERFUL to see, hey?

(I love that movie version and watch it every Christmas!)

April 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Great quote, I like Little Women too and have read my copy more than once! heehee, I'll be sharing it with my daughter! Yippee.

Thanks to you and all those people that wrote letters. I'm convinced that we are able to get Sofia now because of those letters. I am VERY grateful to those letters... I am going to bring my baby girl home (and leave an empty crib for someone elses baby)

April 26, 2008 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Owen and Bonnie said...

em, I LOVE Little Women and I love your passion!! You inspire me.

Lv - Bonnie

April 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Way to be proactive Em! I'm sure you will notice a difference (and love the connection to Little Women!) Can you shoot for early January, please?

April 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home