April 7, 2008

Our growing book collection

I can remember when Mike and I planned to tell my mom that we were adopting... we decided to get a children's book with an african boy in it and write in the inside cover. We excitedly drove to Chapter's and found absolutely NOTHING that had a black boy in it or a racially diverse family. We were so disappointed. We bought a classic children's book instead.

Since then my mom and my sister have bought us some beautiful children's books (ordered in of course) that will be perfect for our future family!

Fire on the Mountain (a story from Ethiopia), Bringing Asha Home (about a family adopting from India...perfect if you have a child already that is trying to understand the adoption wait), Ruby's Wish (beautiful story from China), and Over the Moon (classic adoption book for explaining adoption to your child).


Recently my mom bought us these new books for us for Easter. They are all great! When you open them up you can see faces from all over the world, yeah!




I love the line in "Shades of Black" that says, "I am black. I am unique. I come from Kings and Queens." To some these may just be cute children's books but to us it is SO important that the books you have in your house, reflect who is reading them! Imagine what it would be like if every doll and book you ever had as a child looked nothing like you. What would it make you think?

This whole idea made me think of a video that was circulating around months ago. Let me know what you think.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may be hormonal but that was incredibly heart wrenching especially the little girl that said the black doll was bad and then when asked what doll looked like her she just looked at it and pushed it forward- that broke my heart!
However I must say Madeline's first doll was a black doll by "Carolle" sure it cost $50 for a 10 inch doll but I must admit I searched high and low with my mom to find one because I didn't want her to think all "dollies" were white, and I must say it was best thing I did! I tried to find her dollies of all races it was hard I only managed to come across asian and black! So good luck on your search and I would recommend specialty toy stores for non caucasian dolls!

April 8, 2008 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Erin; totally heart wrenching! This video really surprized me....I had no idea that our culture was still so biased. I think I will get a new doll for zee :)

April 8, 2008 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger hazel said...

What a great library of books you have. "Shades of Black" is on my list of books to buy next.

I've blogged about that video before. http://forneko.blogspot.com/2007/02/girl-like-me-documentary.html

It's a heartbreaker for sure. I'm glad to see it's still circulating.

April 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Very interesting! It's hard to imagine that in the year 2008, little girls consider black to be "bad". Just goes to show the power of the media, I suppose! But awesome about the books! You two will make fantabulous adoptive parents! I have no doubt in my mind that you will integrate his culture into your daily family lives, and that is wonderful!

April 8, 2008 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

WOW! My eyes are open now! I really hope that Sofia doesn't think white dolls are the good ones. I sure don't feel that way. I'll do my best as a parent.

I think it's wonderful that you have so many books for your little one. Luckly baby!!

April 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger mc said...

My son is 20 months old (from Ethiopia) and his favourite book is "Shades of Black". He brings it to me several times a day to read to him. He's starting to fill in some of the words, which is so precious for me to hear. When I say, "I am black, I am...", he will yell out, "unique!" I love this book:)

April 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a powerful video!
Can you tell me the author of the book "my family"? When I search it does not come up.

Thanks!

April 26, 2008 at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home