May 25, 2008

I heart Robeez & KIVA

Awhile ago I heard about how Robeez will donate 50 pairs of kids shoes to adoptive families to take to orphanages. I contacted Robeez and our request was accepted! I'm so excited to pack these adorable shoes in our suitcases. I was told on the phone though that they won't be doing any of these "small-scale" donations anymore. As a company it was too much work so now they will only be doing larger donations. Plus, I think a lot of Robeez have already made their way to Ethiopia through adopting parents. Anyways, I still wanted to post about it on my blog to say thank you to them. Now, when I buy a pair of Robeez I know I am supporting a good company that gives back.


Another amazingly great organization is KIVA. I had learned about micro-finance deveopment in some of my classes in university and I always wanted to do something with it. However, I always thought you could only give large loans and I just figured it would be too complicated to do. But now, I have discovered KIVA!!! You can give as little as $25 and your loan will go directly to an entrepreneur of your choice. You are then updated about their business and paid back by a specific deadline. We just got our first update today by the Tausi's Nguvu Moja B group, consisting of Tausi Abdalla, Salma Khamis, Zena Nassoro, and Lucy Myamale in Tanzania. These four women are part of a clothes making business. I'm so excited to get email updates in the next 4 months!!!


Anyways, the KIVA website is amazing and it is so organized and easy to use. You should go visit it. I have to admit that it is kinda sad that giving is so appealing when you are going to be re-paid (although, don't worry, we do plan to re-give our money). But if knowing this encourages business people around the world to give $1000 loans then it doesn't matter, because a loan like that is going to permanently change someone's life. And it does it in such a dignified way. I seriously am so excited about KIVA, I wish they had an office here so I could go and volunteer for them!


Congratulations to Amber & Ali who received a referral for a baby boy this week after waiting 6 long months!!! AND, congratulations to Justine who had the fastest court date yet (5 weeks) to make her 2 girls officially a part of their family.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...what Robeez won't tell you is that the small Vancouver based company was bought out by Stride Rite and are now having the shoes made in China and have chnaged many of the 'small company' policies...

May 25, 2008 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmm....that KIVA company is really neat! I will have to check it out :)

May 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good getting to know many things from you:) I haven't thought about donations or adoptions before. Now, I'm getting to pay attention to those things whenever I hear some information.
Is that willow in the picture? I miss her~!(Mao too)

Da,

May 26, 2008 at 3:37 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

You amaze me!

May 26, 2008 at 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do I count as a charitable cause (4 kids and all living in greater vancouver) however i did know robeez sold for a large profit to stride rite! But good for the local burnaby woman who created them and supported herself for 10 years ad her family!

And just think 50 little boys and girls will have safe feet for a little while, every bit counts whether great or small!

If you are looking for organic, locally made foods- bobo baby is awesome... made by another greater vancouver mom!

May 26, 2008 at 9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey emmy... love you so much. laying in bed wishing i was just hanging out on your couch, counting down the minutes till the phone call. screaming like a fool and bawling at the same time. driving you to the airport and bawling for that whole time too. i have a huge lump in my throat and you know I never cry. i'm so happy and proud of you both. you're going to be such a great mommy.

June 14, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home