May 5, 2008

FAQ #1 When will your baby come home?


So Mike and I often get this question and its hard to answer because even we don't know EXACTLY when. But, we do have an idea and I don't think I've really explained what happens AFTER the referral very well.

So, basically we are on a waitlist right now for our referral (news that our agency has matched us with a baby boy; we receive a picture, medical report and social history) which could take 3-5 months. Once we sign the papers saying that we accept the referral we will wait for a medical exam to be completed and the forms to be returned to the right people. This happens at the same time as we are waiting for a court date (hopefully not longer) which will make our baby legally "our" baby. I will save another post for explaining the details of court and all that it entails later!

Currently court dates are taking 2-3 months and the medical is completed during that time. After this we are allowed to publicly post pictures of our son on our blog and we will sigh a huge sigh of relief that he is the one meant for our family! Then.....we wait for a visa to be issued. The timeline on this used to be months but now some visas have been issued in a few weeks. Who knows. I have already started this process by applying for the Permanent Resident Visa through CIC and the help of our agency.

So.... we could be traveling to Ethiopia in 7-14 months!!! Seven being the unlikely option.



Okay, so now I would like to invite you to leave a comment with a question that you have! Listen to K-fed. I know there are people reading this blog that have questions so please ask! I have nothing else to blog about in this wait anyways, so I'd like to start posting on your FAQ. So, ask away! Remember, there are no stupid questions.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I am sure if I thoroughly read through your blogs I could possibly come up with the answer but since you are answering Q's--

So ideally how old will your son be when you bring home/or when you go to Ethiopia to see him for the first time? When you find out whom this little bean is do you get pictures, can you send items, can you travel to ethiopia prior to adoption/visa time?

I know lots of questions but I imagine when you find out a little boy is waiting for you-- that would seem to be the longest wait .

May 5, 2008 at 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah what is with the "K-fed"?????

May 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Ha ha. I'll leave you a doozer of a question Emily. One I have myself.

How come when we signed with the agency and even when we sent our dossiers the timelines were shorter, and now that we have paid and are actually waiting the lines get longer? As soon as we paid the retainer, didn't they know how many people would be waiting and the average number of kids available, thus timelines should be easy to figure out.

I actually heard the other day that it is up to 6 mos so hang on tight this could be a bumpy ride!

Good luck to you guys!

Barb

May 6, 2008 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I have a question, but I think it totally misses the point. Oh well, here goes:

Why, oh why, can't Kate, Jack and Sawyer just make up their minds already?! They need to come to an understanding so I can have some peace in my life!

May 7, 2008 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I can't even fathom asking a question knowing that you put K-Fed on your blog page!! Disgusting Emily!

May 7, 2008 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm lovin the K-fed

May 7, 2008 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

That picture is kinda creepy...

May 8, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home