April 12, 2009

Day 9

There was a group of volunteers from Canada working with Canadian Humanitarian that were staying at the Weygoss. It was really nice chatting with them and getting to know some of them. The doctor who was leading the trip invited Mike and I to go to a soccer game with all the kids from the various projects that they work with. It was so much fun! There were probably around 100 children there that day. The cheerleading on the sidelines was unlike anything you would see in Canada. Their cheers had so much rhythm. Mike decided to go over and try out their drum! Some of the girls came over and sat with me and chatted. At one point this one girl started touching my wedding ring. And I was overwhelmed with the realization that the cost of the ring alone that she was touching could drastically change her life and countless others. Providing them with school and food for years to come (most Ethiopians make a dollar a day). Ugh, it made me think of the quote from Mother Theresa: "No one has a right to a superfluity of wealth while others are dying of starvation and suffering from every kind of want".



After the soccer game I decided that I wanted to go and get my hair-cut! I had run out of time to get it cut before leaving Canada so I thought it would be a fun thing to do in Addis! And I was not disappointed!!!
I wanted to go somewhere pretty authentic (this house down the street that had a salon in it) but Mike is more nervous about my hair than I am and convinced me to go to a shopping mall. We did and it still felt pretty authentic! When we got their they had to find what seemed like the one girl who spoke English to come and figure out what I wanted. She was so nice and told me how so excited for us and our baby. Anyways, she led me to the back where the sinks were. Now, these sinks were like beds. Instead of sitting in a chair and awkwardly bending backwards you lie down and your head lands in a sink. It was so much more comfortable! Then the washing began. I don't think I have EVER felt such cold water land on my head in my life. It was icy cold... but I actually really liked it once I got used to it. The girl washed my hair vigorously and then rinsed it out. And then she did it again, scrubbing my scalp SO hard. rinse and repeat. rinse and repeat. I think this went on for 20 minutes no exaggeration. Finally she asked me "okay?" and I said "yes" and she started the conditioning process... maybe another 10 minutes. I quickly figured out why they have lie-down sinks and not chairs!
When we were finally done she walked me to the chair and the women who spoke English came over and started cutting it. And I mean she just went for it. I have never seen someone cut hair so fast. I think my trim was done in literally 2 minutes! She then blow-dried it and I was done. It was so much fun, and she did a great job (minus a few pieces she missed). I'm so glad I did this. I love doing "everyday/routine" things in a new country. And I think my hair-cut came to $3 US so I tipped them pretty good.

That night I sported my newly cut hair at Cloud 9, they have amazing food and unbelievable service there! If you go, you should order the lamb curry.... so good. And their steak is really good too. The meat their is so tender and so fresh... no deep freeze and shipped across the country like we have here. We met some really friendly people their that invited us over to their table for dessert. I love Ethiopians! They are so friendly and kind. We had such a great conversation with them.... just remembering all of this makes me miss Ethiopia so much.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Amanda Vooys said...

Love the haircut story!

April 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I love it! Those stories make the most wonderful memories!!! I love how they missed a few spots. Classic.

April 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Thanks for sharing....you're giving me lots of good ideas for when we travel to Addis, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Deanna

April 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I didn't know you got your hair cut when you were there! That's so fun! you'll have to post some food pics, and that one of you and the juice....mmmmm, it all sounds so delicious....

April 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brave i won't even let a canadian cut my hair- i leave it to the professionals- me.. which is really truly sad when you think about it.. keep up the blog Em.

April 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought that was funny how Mike was more nervous about you getting your hair cut then you were! haha...you are a brave one Em! Sounds like a fun experience (It reminds me of my hair washing experience in Taiwan with Dana!)

April 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger K_I_T_ said...

Hi, I am new to your blog and so encouraged. We are waiting for our referral and am getting a little low. It is so exciting to see your pic of you and your baby. It gives me hope that it will happen sometime for us....Enjoy your baby....

April 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Sarah Rodgerson said...

Thanks for sharing, wonderful story!!

Sarah

April 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home