March 11, 2009

Day 2

Hm... I may need to re-think this. I thought I could post about a day in Ethiopia each day I was home. Ha! I've been home for 2 weeks and am still barely finding time to shower let alone blog. But I'll try.... Moses is currently fast asleep.

On our second day there we returned to the transition home to pick up Moses and bring him home for good. It was Valentine's day and I couldn't ask for a better memory to have now for many valentine's to come. Moses seemed to remember us when he saw us again that day.

We were able to meet another care-taker and were able to ask her lots of questions like what does she love about Moses and what would she want us to tell him one day when he sees her picture in his baby book. I will never forget this. She just looked at me and said "Tell him I love him very much and that I hope he comes back to Ethiopia one day." We took a picture of the two of them together (see below) and she burst into tears and ran out of the room. My heart just ached. I called after her and through some translation she came back and I was able to hug her and thank her through my own tears for loving our baby so deeply. I will never forget that. Her name is Meseret which is Moses' birth mom's name so I told her that I will also tell him about how she cared for him as well.

After we left we went and picked up a few essentials like formula and diapers and basically just hung out in our room for the rest of the day! When Moses woke up from his nap you could see a bit of panic in his eyes as he frantically looked around the room for something familiar. It was so sad! But he was quickly comforted and has seemed to adjust well ever since.
However, we didn't want to do too much that day and overwhelm Moses who was clearly quite wide-eyed and shell shocked just on the car ride home (he had probably only been in two car rides in his entire life), so we ordered in dinner and went to bed early.



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's the chilled baby pose: nicely done, mama and papa! he's completely rad. love erin

March 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so amazing of you to ask her that, you are such a good person Em. One day I am sure Moses will return to Ethiopia, as will you, but he will be a boy or perhaps a man- and he will experience ethiopia again but with different eyes. It will be neat to hear his journey.

Did I tell you how beautiful Moses is lately!???? Keep blogging cause you were there for two weeks and you are only on day 2!

March 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Now that is a great Valentine's Day! It must have been hard to see the sadness in the caretaker, but how wonderful to know your son was so loved and cared for.

March 12, 2009 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

love the pic of Mike with Mosey in the ergo!!! way too cute!!!

March 12, 2009 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh, Em!!! I can't imagine what those caretakers must go through each and every time someone comes to take a child home with them. That must have broke your heart! I really need to sit down with you and hear about your trip first hand (and see pics). Let's see if that's possible with 2 babies needing our attention ...

March 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em you have such a good heart! I'm glad you called for her to come back! I'm crying so hard i can hardly see the screen... Em that picture of you feeding him looks perfect... Mosey calmed down right away because he knew he was HOME. Wherever that might be... it was Home.

March 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Motherhood looks good on you girl! Awesome! He's absolutely gorgeous!

March 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger The Hattons... said...

Beautiful pictures and wonderful glimpses into your new life with your son. How wonderful!

March 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

As soon as I read " his caregiver burst into tears" So did I. I don't know how I will manage!
He is beautiful!

Jen

March 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger The Turgeon Expansion said...

Count me to the teary eyed blogger friend list!!

Yeah, the tears were rolling when you said M's caregiver burst into tears. Look at how much that little sweetie was loved! AND IS NOW :)

March 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Mamato2 said...

Gorgeous baby boy! And so nice to see the orphange and Gidey, too.

April 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home