March 6, 2009

Day 1

After a very long day (at least) of travel we made it to Ethiopia! It was an amazing feeling to step out of the airport and breathe it all in. I had dreamed of this day for so long! Solomon our country guide and Yuhalla (okay that is probably way off but I don't know how to spell his name!) our driver picked us up with a bouquet of flowers. We breathed in warm Ethiopian air and drove to Weygoss where we would be staying.

Our room was super small. The bed was a cross between a single and a twin and there was one window up so high you could barely see out of it. We couldn't close it so we slept to the sounds of dogs barking, car horns, construction, the call to prayer and more. We awoke to a very cold shower. It was an experience. Normally I'd be up for roughing it but the reality of taking care of a baby in this room wasn't going to work. Needless to say, a few days later when a bigger room with a balcony became available we moved!

The next day we woke up and had breakfast downstairs. The coffee was amazing! We met a bunch of CAFAC families that morning who were all happily united with their babies. It was strange to think that that would soon be us eating breakfast with a baby on our lap!

We anxiously waited for Solomon to pick us up.



We walked into the transition house took a seat on the couch in the lobby and within minutes a door opened and a women placed Moses in my arms. It happened so fast. It was an amazing day. We got to spend around five hours just hanging out with our son. I'll never forget it! As hard as it was to leave that afternoon it was for the best. We needed sleep and he needed some time to get used to us. We got to meet one of his caretakers that day as well. You could tell he was very very loved.



The rest is in pictures. enjoy. I know that is what you all want anyway! Just click on it to make it bigger.

18 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I'm so happy for you!

March 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh yeah, I am totally sobbing! He is so beautiful guys. You are so blessed! I can't wait!!

Jenny

March 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pure awesomeness, guys!

love erin

March 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Amazing Em!!! I feel like I haven't had a chance to ask you about your trip yet! It's hard with 2 babies!!!

March 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

wow, wow, wow. It is so amazing seeing these pics and hearing you reflect on the experience; I agree with Dana, it has been hard to really chat with all the babies around! He is so unbelievably beautiful and I am really enjoying watching you and Mike be parents. You're doing great! Also, I love the new profile pic and song! (although, the song wasn't really working on my computer....)

March 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
I have said this before but he is adorable and I can't wait to sit down and have some coffee and hear about ethiopia and your first moments with Moses.

Thank you for posting the pictures- I love them...

Erin

March 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're so happy for you guys! Moses is adorable!! Looking forward to meeting him this summer!! xo

March 7, 2009 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger The Turgeon Expansion said...

Congrats once again! Moses sounds like a great baby and he's beautiful to boot!!

I can't wait to hear all about the rest of your trip.

March 7, 2009 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Owen and Bonnie said...

Thanks Emily for the beautiful pics and sharing about your experience! I think my MOST favorite photo is the one where they are placing Moses in your arms for the very first time!! I love the expression on your face, and the way Mike has his arm around you - its AMAZING!! Makes me feel like I was right there with you...

Love, Bonnie

March 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I knew he was cute but OMG is he ADORABLE!!!! That picture of you first reaching out to hold your baby is so beautiful. That first moment is indescribable. Amazing.

March 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger BCMommy said...

Amazing!!! He's so beautiful. Congratulations. I can't wait to hear more and see more photos!!!
Claire

March 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

I bet you had our first room....did it have a window to the hallway. We also moved out of that room as soon as we could.
Louise

March 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm surprised you didn't get to just get to go running straight to the agency. everything looked so professional and calm. i'm SO glad you got a bigger room. I wanna hear how things are going NOW! how is life!?!?!?!? you guys LOOK like a family. You just DO! I can only say how happy i am for you so many times... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I cry every time your website comes up. LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

March 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

He's precious! Keep it coming!

It's funny - my first thought was, "oh no! now I know how it will happen!" Except I know better - your story is so uniquely special and your own :)

You've made me even more impatient for our own trip (if that's possible)!!!

March 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger hazel said...

The pictures are amazing - Solomon is an angel. I love reading about your experience.

March 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Amazing pictures! Nice to see you all together, Moses looks like a happy little boy!

March 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Ricki said...

Oh Emily, those pics are gorgeous! I realized once we got home that we never got pictures together!!!! Shame! We'll have to catch up on how the boys are doing one of these days!

March 11, 2009 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger The Friesens said...

thank you for posting in the midst of the sleeplessness. Blessings to you and yours.

March 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home