February 4, 2009

Tickets booked!

So the fastest we could leave (and not pay an extra grand per ticket) is February 11th. So that's when we're going, Wednesday morning!!! We're going to have our baby for Valentine's day. I could cry just thinking about it : )

We fly back home to Vancouver on Feb.25th at 4:30pm (in case you want to come and meet us!!!). Things are definitely feeling more real but there is still a surreal quality to it all.

I've been super busy trying to find accomodations and I've finally booked us in for the first week at the Weygoss guest house and the last few days at the Oziopia guest house (www.oziopia.org). I'm so excited and I think staying at two different places will be great, hopefully we get two unique experiences that will both teach us about Ethiopian culture. The oziopia sounds more like a "homestay" which I really like and there may be drumming involved. My husband is a drummer so I am really hoping we can take part in the drumming party that their website says they have. And they only take one family at a time so we will have lots of time to chat with the family and get to know more about the culture, language, etc.

Staying at the Weygoss for the first week also sounds great though, because I believe I may bump into Ricki & Bruce who are picking up their baby Yonnas! And who knows what other Canadians will be there. I think it may be nice to have the support of other people going through the same thing as us. Plus, I may have questions in the middle of the night. Such as, "How do I heat up his bottle" or "What do I do if he won't stop screaming?"

We're also hoping to be able to connect with our sponsor child so I have been filling out paperwork to be able to arrange a visit. It's really short notice so they can't guarantee anything, but I'm hoping something can work out. We've been writing letters throughout the past year and a half and it would be so cool to meet him!

My head still feels like it is spinning. Partly from the wretched yellow fever vaccine that has left me feeling horrible the past few days, and partly from stress and excitement. I officially feel like I have checked out at work. People ask me questions, I hear them, but I can't quite seem to care enough to properly answer. Good thing Friday is my last day.

Anyways, I will leave you with what you all are hoping for..... more pictures of Moses right???
We got his update on Tuesday and our little boy has only gained one pound since the December update. He now weighs 13 pounds 9 ounces. My caseworker gave me these words:
"I was able to see Samuel and he is a precious little boy. He is very content and happy with lots of smiles. I gave him a few hugs from you and our update representative was able to get some pictures for your update coming out next week. I am certain Samuel will give you much joy and happiness when you are able to finally bring him home."



Still no photos of him smiling but it looks like he may be trying to say something. We asked my niece what Mosey was saying and she told us: Da Da.

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love him! I am so glad he is part of our family- he is a lucky boy to have you and Mike and I hope everyone is able to give him something as he will give us all so much...

He is a blessing for so many and for so many reasons...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

February 4, 2009 at 11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey em and mike... so glad this is coming all together. though i wish you could've been there for his first five months... i'm glad you're going to be there when he can smile at you and those big eyes can convey something other than "food, poo, sleep..." for the first time in his life, his most basic essential need will be met. his heart will feel at home in your arms, i just know it! i'm ready to sell a kidney to fly out there for the 25th! even just for the moment and then turn right back around. LOVE YOU

February 5, 2009 at 4:55 AM  
Blogger Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

OK, seriously, to you this whole experience has probably moved at a snales pace, but I personally cannot believe how quickly everything is happening for you. It brings hope to all of waiting. How wonderful.

Laura

February 5, 2009 at 5:47 AM  
Blogger Ranavan said...

Oh Emily - he is gorgeous!

Wow, next Wednesday will come so fast! You must be brimming with excitement. I saw Ricki & Bruce yesterday and she mentioned she might get to meet you - that would be fantastic.

You will have to let us all know how the Oziopia is...my husband is a drummer too so if there are drums involved he would want to stay there.

February 5, 2009 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Our baby Zambia said...

Wow,
So I can't wait to hear about the guest houses. Good info.

Moses is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations and have fun!

andrea

February 5, 2009 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger The Turgeon Expansion said...

Oh you guys, I'm so very happy for you! What a memorable Valentine's Day you're going to have...and if that's not the sweetest present anyone has ever received, well, I don't know what is!!

Happy travelling, he's a sweetie :) Blow my baby girl some kisses for me!

February 5, 2009 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations!! This is so exciting for you guys! We stayed at the Weygoss and really appreciated it. The staff are wonderful...but it was so nice to have SO many other families around us. I swear the whole thing was full of adoptive familes from canada, spain and the US...so that was a really comforting place to be for us.
Your new pictures of MOses are just adorable! I looked at the pictures and it was pretty funny. The woman, J, in those pictures goes to our church so it was kind of funny to see her with your little handsome man!

February 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

First: at the time we picked up Sofia the didn't heat up the kids bottles. Just gave them to them at room temperature. Super easy!
Second: The pictures are adorable!
Thrid: Our husbands are both electricians and both drummers. Crazy?!?

February 5, 2009 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

First: at the time we picked up Sofia the didn't heat up the kids bottles. Just gave them to them at room temperature. Super easy!
Second: The pictures are adorable!
Thrid: Our husbands are both electricians and both drummers. Crazy?!?

February 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

What a little cutie pie! I am so excited for you! This is incredible! Have a fantastic trip and can't wait to read more about your gotcha day. The best Valentine's present I can think of!
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Go get him!

February 5, 2009 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's so exciting! I am hoping to be there to greet you guys when you come home!!! Love the pics. He is getting big!!!

February 5, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

What a heartbreaker!!! And he's so little!!! Hannah is already over 11 pounds so Mosey won't be much bigger than her! I will most definitely be at the airport to greet you and welcome Mosey home!

February 5, 2009 at 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is gorgeous! Andeven though he's not actually smiling in the photos, he looks like he's so happy and good-natured!

Wishing you a wonderful trip and I'll be thinking of you on Valentine's Day.

February 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Sooo Happy for you Em! Have an amazing time. This is your journey so soak up every minute!

Jen

February 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

moses is saving his smile for you when you pick him up: a wonderful gift! have a safe trip! congratulations!! love erin

February 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Ashleigh said...

Emily,
HE IS BEAUTIFUL.
Ashleigh

February 6, 2009 at 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moses is so stinken cute!!!!! My fave pic is the last one....I think he is saving his smile for you and Mike too! will be praying for your trip!

February 6, 2009 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That is going to be one Valentine's to remember! I am so glad things have come together for you.

Safe travels!

Blessings,
Karen

February 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Owen and Bonnie said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah Rodgerson said...

Oh so happy for you, and oh so jealous that you are going to get to see him at only 5 MONTHS old!! I cannot imagine what you are feeling right now...please remember to say hi to our little Kaleab if they will allow it!!

Sarah

February 8, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger The Warren Family said...

OMG you are leaving so soon... that is so amazing!! He is the cutest little guy, I can't wait to see pictures posted on here from your trip!!

February 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger The Hattons... said...

YAY! The time has finally come. Sorry we will miss seeing you at the airport!

February 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM  
Blogger Jamie and Jennica said...

Emily and Mike, congrats!! We would love to see you guys at the airport when you fly back into Vancouver on Feb. 25th. What time?

February 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

He is so beautiful. Have a wonderful trip.
Janice

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Our baby Zambia said...

Good luck and safe trip tomorrow!!! All the best. Can't wait to hear all of the details of your trip...

February 10, 2009 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Have an amazing time in E. Kiss my Kallie for me 1000 times if you get a chance and whisper to her that we are coming soon. Tell her unfortunately not everyone is as smart as her momma so it is not our fault we aren't there yet!LOL
I can't wait to meet Moses and I want to hear all about your amazing time when you get back.

Love Jenny

February 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRYING! How do I teach tomorrow? Ach Em and Mike. Tell me - are you flying into YVR at 4:30 on the 25th? Just checking. Have a fab trip. Can't wait to see the three of you back here.

February 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home