January 20, 2009

History, Hope, and Baby Steps!


Don't you just feel like you could have this family over for dinner? I would love to hang out with them!


Today history was made. I am so happy to have witnessed this event. I can't wait to tell Moses about what this day means and how only 70 years ago things were very different.

I keep thinking about the book To Kill a Mockingbird today. I think it may just be my favourite novel of all time. Today feels like we have made more than a "baby step". Real change is happening.

"I was sittin' there on the porch last night, waiting. I waited and waited to see you all come down the sidewalk, and as I waited I thought, Atticus Finch won't win, he can't win, but he's the only man in these parts who can keep a jury out so long in a case like that. And I thought to myself, well, we're making a step-it's just a baby-step, but it's a step."
- Mrs. Maudie in To Kill a Mockingbird

5 Comments:

Blogger Owen and Bonnie said...

Emily, great post! I LOVE the photo of the Obama family. And yes, I agree - they seem so 'down to earth' that you could have them over for dinner! Owen & I watched the inauguration live yesterday morning. It was so exciting to witness this historic event. All this must mean the world to you now that you are adopting Moses from Africa. He will now grow up with freedom & equality.

Bonnie

January 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger hazel said...

I agree. And we are CANADIANS, for crying out loud! It feels as if they are already personal friends of mine who I could easily slip into a lengthy conversation with.

:-)

January 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are too similar. I just posted his speech on my family website.

This family is amazing with their sense of grounding, responsibility and gratitude- i know Barack will do great things-

Although I feel it is important to mention that our Governal General is a woman of haitian decent with being only the 3rd or 4th woman to be governor general and to be a minority-

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger The Warren Family said...

Good Post! What a great moment in history!

January 23, 2009 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

Great Post! I also really like To Kill A Mockingbird. When I read that book as a kid, I loved it. I used to always say it was my favourite book.

Janice

January 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home