January 11, 2009

Ethiopia's new and very repressive law

...that will hurt millions.

I don't understand the full scope of the politics in Ethiopia but this new law sounds politically motivated and also like a very very horrible idea. I can't understand why parliament would pass something like this. Months ago it was only a draft but on January 6th this new law was passed. This new law is going to stop essentially all foreign aid and make almost all NGOs illegal in Ethiopia.


Read more about the human rights that are being violated at Amnesty International:


http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/ethiopian-parliament-adopts-repressive-new-ngo-law-20090108

and the Human Rights Watch website:

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2009/01/08/ethiopia-new-law-ratchets-repression



I'm so scared and saddened to think what this is going to mean for Ethiopia. I don't even know if this means we will be able to meet our sponsor child in Ethiopia anymore. If the law is enforced it is making all foreign aid a criminal activity!!! I am in shock. I pray that something can be done to stop this. But Ethiopia has just sentenced an opposition leader to life in prison and things don't look so good right now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think many 'third world' countries or impoverished countries unfortunately go through these turmoils of human rights violations(ie. Uganda, Rwanda etc) It is cyclicle and devastating, and because they go unnoticed or as I think ignored by the majority of the developing world- there is not enough human outcry and demand to inforce basic human rights and to remove unjust persecutions- I hope that Ethiopia does not become even more victimized to poverty, malnutrition and lack of funding (for education, farming and health care) then it already is but with this new legislation- I can only think the worse which is too sad to fully comprehend- My heart breaks a little for your little Moses but is relieved he will be with you and Mike.

January 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home