December 28, 2008

lighting a candle

A friend of mine that I used to work with at our ESL school is an orthodox priest. On his last day at work he gave us all prayer candles. I remember putting it away thinking I would use it on some special occasion. Well, its been months and it is still sitting on my book shelf. I saw it today and knew that lighting it tonight would be the perfect time to burn this candle.

I looked into the tradition of using beeswax candles in the orthodox church (which is the main religion in Ethiopia) and it is really interesting and filled with so much meaning. If you are interested read below.

“A candle is a symbol of prayer. The act of lighting a candle is a prayer without words, although it is perfectly acceptable to also say a prayer as you light the candle. Lighting a candle acts as a reminder that others pray with us, living and dead, even if they are not there with us. The flame is a symbol of passion, and it points towards Heaven. It also reminds us that Christ is the light of the world.”

“When beeswax candles came into wide use, the symbolism of candles and flames emerged to coincide with Church beliefs. Although originally beeswax was used only in the Church and wealthy homes its qualities were well known. Because beeswax was so special in peoples minds, beeswax candles could be used symbolically in the early Church. It was taught that beeswax symbolized the Virgin Mother, the wick symbolized the soul of Jesus Christ, and the flame, the divinity, that surrounds and illuminates the two. During burning, beeswax can visually expend themselves as Christ expended Himself in His love for mankind. Even today votive candles represent ongoing prayer for a special intention. Also, the bee became a symbol of the resurrection and of the immortality of the soul. Interestingly, by the Twelfth century candles had become the norm in churches, rather than oil lamps. Few people know the word ceremony comes from the Latin word cermonius, meaning "the person who carries a wax candle at public rituals". Today the Greek Orthodox Church is known widely for the production and use of very fine beeswax candles.”


It's 9:17 am in Ethiopia right now.... I'm praying for a miracle. I'll let you know in the morning what the news is.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I'm praying with you snookie! hope you get some sleep tonight...

December 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

Thinking of you today. Laura

December 29, 2008 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am hoping and thinking about you guys right now! It is 9:55am and I am waiting for your phone call!!! (I am thinking positive)

December 29, 2008 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, I didn't know all that about candles. It totally made me think. I know you posted this about Samuel but it really resonates with me. In our own home prayer is kind of on the back burner right now. I like the idea of lighting a candle instead of feeling the need to say words and connecting the spiritual with the physical and emotional.

Anyway, can't wait to meet your baby boy!

December 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home