April 23, 2009

Day 12

On our last day in Ethiopia we managed to squeeze in a visit to the world famous fistula hospital. I actually woke up that morning starting to feel really sick and almost stayed back at the Weygoss and let Mike go on, but I knew that I would regret it. So off we went. It is so horrible traveling when you feel ill but I am glad that I pushed through because visiting this place was something I will never forget.

In order to appreciate what we saw you HAVE to watch the documentary "A Walk to Beautiful". Mike and I saw it months before and were brought to tears. I don't think it is possible to watch this film and not be. It is now available online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-fOmovijc

But here is the trailer to get you interested....




And a little more...




Mike and I even got to meet the amazing Catherine Hamlin. We were walking along the grounds on our tour of all the facilities when all of a sudden she was in front of us. I honestly felt like I was meeting Mother Theresa or some superstar! She is just that amazing. She had just finished performing a surgery and she is in her 80s!!! The hospital that her and her husband started is so comprehensive. The program involves prevention, education, physiotherapy, counselling, and even a chance for the women to gain skills and sell crafts and find a new livelihood for themselves when they leave. I was blown away by how thorough it was. We even saw the center that Orpah Winfrey donated to, which is for the women who were unable to be healed by the surgery.

Anyways, they are always in need of volunteers so if you are a nurse, doctor, midwife, or physiotherapist I cannot think of a better place to recommend volunteering at. Seriously! Do it!!!!!!! Life is short!!!! lol.

After our tour we went for lunch and then did a bit of last minute shopping. By the time we got back to the Weygoss I was now feverish and not just sick to my stomach and Mike was beginning to feel really sick too. It was horrible. Luckily I had done most of the packing the night before. But we were leaving that night for the airport at around 9pm and being stuck in an airport or airplane was the last place we both wanted to be. I can remember so clearly taking turns holding Moses while the other person ran to the bathroom with diarrhea! It was awful!

I'll describe just how awful it was in my last post but for now I will describe saying good-bye to Ethiopia.

Oh... driving in the dark to the airport with Solomon and Yehuala was so bittersweet. We were so excited to see our family and couldn't wait to get home and introduce them to Moses, but we were so sad to leave Addis and all its beauty. When we got out of the van at the airport Yehuala loaded up our bags and we realized that this was it. The hug that they both gave us was one I will never forget. I started to cry and basically we all just looked at each other and had very little words.

Solomon of course said something about how we were doing such a good thing for Moses.

We promised we'd come back.

And then we walked into the airport and began all the stress of tickets and all that stuff you do at an airport combined with the urge to visit the bathroom. Moses puked up his entire bottle all over the floor by the ticket counter. I think he could feel our stress.

I kept holding back tears.

Then we made it on the plane and met the wonderful KLM flight crew. Thank goodness for friendly dutch people!

Details of the 30 hour journey home to come soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I can't imagine what that good-bye must have been like. What an incredible experience for Moses if you should go back when he'll understand what it means! And the diarrhea ... oh the horror!!!

April 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Erin Levesque said...

Emily, just when I think I am settled into my life with my three boys, you open my eyes once again. You fire me up, girl. Thank you for your inspiration. Love Erin

April 23, 2009 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

wow Em, that was a beautiful post; I loved hearing about the drive in the dark and the hug and the parting words; so much emotion. maybe you've fired Erin up to go volunteer!!! good job on the blogging; you're almost caught up to the present!

April 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I agree with Dana. That would have been sooo hard!

April 23, 2009 at 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how candid you are with referring to your battle with diarhea.. but I can not use the word panties???

12 days thats it? it really felt much longer..

April 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle Santschi said...

Wow, I cannot believe you got to go to the fistula hospital and meet Catherine Hamlin!! That's SO amazing... she is amazing.

April 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Rowan Family said...

That's pretty neat - I've read her book and it's amazing what they do there....

Nicky

April 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip Emily! I have loved reading the posts and hearing about your first few days with Moses.

April 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Solomon was very cross with me for crying. He told me off, it was very unpleasant. People in Ethiopia don't cry but I'm an emotional person and seriously ... how can you not be! Grant, who NEVER cries was having a hard time. Once I got out of the van though it was all business and I was good until we got home.

I will not forget that last van ride from the Weygoss to the airport nor will I forget my last full breath of Ethiopian air. The morning chanting is what I miss most, but the inscence, eucalyptus infused air is a close second.

Can I go back now???

April 27, 2009 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hi Emily

This hospital sounds amazing. We unfortunately were not there long enough to go see it, but I wish we could have. Amazing work and miracles are being done there! Wow!

Jenny

April 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Owen and Bonnie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Em!! Today is your first Mother's Day to celebrate being Moeses' mommy! Just wanted to wish you a great day :)

Love, Bonnie

May 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home