April 19, 2009

Day 11: Meeting Wasiyun!

The next day was a day I will never forget. Yosef from Compassion picked us up and took us to visit our sponsor child Wasiyun. He lived in Akaki which is in the outskirts of Addis. Everyone their seemed to use a horse to get around.


When we arrived at the Compassion Centre the gates opened and I saw Wasiyun standing their with the most adorable shy/surprised/in awe grin. It was so adorable. He presented us with flowers!



We chatted through our translator and got to know him and his mom a little more. W then asked to be taken to their home. Their house was one room, and it looked like he shared a bed with his mom. She offered us popcorn (this is traditional Ethiopian food!) and we presented her with a bunch of food and coffee. Her eyes welled up. We then gave Wasiyun a soccer ball and pump and he was so excited.






He went into his room and pulled out all the letters I had sent him. It was so amazing to see my hand-writing in his room in Ethiopia!!! This for me was huge. These letters we write really do encourage these kids and the money we send really does make a difference. This brings me to my challenge for all my readers! Ha ha!!!

The compassion project that we visited needs 11 more kids to be sponsored. When we left their office we made them a promise that we would go home and talk to our family and friends and see if we could find 11 people to sponsor them.
So... if you have never sponsored a child before I highly recommend you consider it. It costs $35 a month and the organization does not have high administrative costs at all so the money will go directly to those that need it. It's even easier to write letters to your sponsor child now because you can do it online! Woohoo! If you are interested please email me (mike.emily.k@gmail.com) and I will give you the project code so you can request a child from the area we visited.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would Emily.

I think it would be a great opportunity for myself and my kids, I think a little girl Madeline's age would be ideal. I think Madeline would gain a lot from that commitment and insight into how other little girls live.

Bring the information when you visit this week.

PS how did you luck out with a cute son and foster son.. ???

April 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

2 posts in 2 days? What is this!? You're almost done catching us all up!!! Sounds amazing Em. You guys amaze me. I can't imagine how Wasiyun must have felt meeting you guys! What an opportunity for both of you!

April 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Derrick, Alysia, and Levi said...

Emily,
We have a little boy through compassion as well, but I didn't know that we could write to him online! How does that work? I don't think we've gotten info on that. If you could let me know, that would be GREAT! My email is alysia_ca@yahoo.com

April 20, 2009 at 6:13 AM  
Blogger The Warren Family said...

It has been great reading about your trip!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

April 20, 2009 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so cool to know you have met your sponsor child. What a neat picture to see him holding baby Mosey!

April 20, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Owen and Bonnie said...

I LOVE THIS!!!

April 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger K_I_T_ said...

I am new to reading your blog and am so encouraged by this post. We have a girl who we have thru Compassion that we have been sponsoring for about 7 years, and we are planning to meet her when we go to pick up our daughter. I would love to speak with you sometime, I am wondering what would be a good thing to take when we go meet her. I am actually a Compassion advocate. Do you know what project you were at. On your child id, what is the 1st 4 numbers.(it's not his number, just incase you are worried about putting it up...it's just the project he is from.... Very cool

April 28, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home