October 9, 2008

6 months 22 days

Why do I have this feeling that we won't be getting our referral any time soon???
I think we will be lucky if we get it by Christmas. Maybe this is a natural way to feel when you get to the end of your wait.... as if it will never actually happen. Right now, our baby feels SO far away. My caseworker said that they are still waiting on paperwork before they can make referrals. I am getting really tired of this and would rather I got an email saying don't expect a referral until the 8 month point. I hope her "in a few weeks" estimate is somewhat accurate or I may just lose my mind. Oh and please don't ask me if we've gotten our referral yet. If we do, you will know. Trust me.

To pass the time I signed up for an online course on attachement. Our agency is reccomending it to all their clients (Adoption Learning Partners). I'll let you know what I think of it when I get to the end. It's cheaper than registering for a seminar, but I'm not sure if it will be as useful.

6 Comments:

Blogger hazel said...

I agree with you in preferring to be given a more realistic idea of how long to wait. No false hope please.

Hang in there. I find my usually optimistic perspective wanes and rises all the time. I'm hoping for The Call by Christmas as well.

October 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor emily! you sound like a wildly overdue mom! i can't truly appreciate your agony, but i am hoping you get the call soon!

erin

October 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Emily (Mike)

FACT:
The average length of human gestation is 280 days, or 40 weeks, from the first day of the woman’s last menstrual period. The medical term for the due date is estimated date of confinement (EDC).

So if you are at 6 months 22 days, that would be about 202 days, so expect no more than 72 days. Every couple must be tortured with anticipation of their child - no matter how you become a mom. It is the longest 2 months, but then when you finally see your child you forget that long wait (sometimes you wonder why you were in such a rush after being up all night with a crying child or a pukey one)

xoxo

October 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I think that the fact that you haven't recieved your referral yet is wrong, just wrong. I feel for you Emily. I can't wait to hear your news. I would say "hang in there" but... I won't cause I am sure your done with hanging in there.
Take care girl, your baby is coming

Jenny

October 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily - if I have a dollar for every time I've heard that we are waiting on paperwork!!!

Actualy, we're in the same boat. Our caseowrker says we're just waiting on the paperwork too - we'll be "the first to know"!

Crossing my fingers for you too!
Nicky

October 10, 2008 at 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emmy and mike,

i know it's long and wearisome! it will be over soon. i am proud of your tenacity and patience. i know you don't have a CHOICE in it, but you are still finding a point in each day and you're not letting the wait be your existance. Em, write a song about your son. About how excrutiating this is. Write him letters about how much he is wanted and loved. You can give them to him when he's older, or in those shitty turbulant adolescent years when they seem to stop talking in full sentences, and forget that you love them regardless of anything. it would be fun for you to slide these old letters under his door after a tough time. and he can know how much he has been anticipated and wanted and loved.

shar

October 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home