January 20, 2010

caring for the orphan

The truth is, before the earthquake hit Haiti, children were already sleeping in the streets. Children were scared and lonely and wondering where their next meal would come from. And now this earthquake has made the weakest, the most fragile so much more vulnerable that we can't even begin to imagine. The attention that the media is now placing on showing this vulnerable population will hopefully encourage all of us to do something both now (send money) and in the long-term future.

I keep thinking of what I would have done if this happened in Addis while Moses was in the transition home and I can't even imagine how heart-wrenching it would be to. Friends of ours are adopting a 3 year old boy from Haiti. Miraculously they found out after the earthquake that their court case went through the morning OF the earthquake and their file was safe. But they are still waiting to know how and when they will be able to bring him home.

In the US, Pennsylvania made a bold move and managed to get over 50 children who are being adopted out of Haiti. This video clip has some cheesy background music but it is still worth the watch. Just seeing images of kids without shoes, or that little boy in a house coat at the end?! It just breaks my heart. But they are being united with their soon to be families! From what I understand the Haitian and American government have allowed them to leave Haiti and finish their adoption process while living in the US. Amazing.

If I wasn't passionate about being an advocate for adoption before this horrible disaster, I am even more so now.

Children need families. Children need homes. I know in the adoption world we don't like to talk about how adopting a child is saving their life. I get that.

But when I see what is going on in Haiti I realize that sometimes adoption is saving a life. Literally.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dancin' Momma said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 21, 2010 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

What an incredible video! It brought tears to my eyes!

January 23, 2010 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

I agree too - I am glad the Cdn gov is finally stepping up and helping families - too bad it wasn't sooner.

L

January 23, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home