November 13, 2008

"sometime in January"

....we are going to have our first court date. And hopefully if all goes well it will be our only court date.

Originally I thought 2-3 months for court, but then our agency said 1-2 and I got all excited, and now today I was told that we received a much later court date than expected and that it will be "sometime in January". My heart just sank when I read those words. Now that the hope has been killed for a court date before Christmas I feel so discouraged.

Of course, this week has been even more brutal on my dear adopting friends who not only got their referrals during court closures but now didn't get through their first court date and may have to wait till January 1st for their next one. It's just not right! Why can't there be more court-houses and judges in Addis?!?! It's so frustrating.

So now I wonder what is "sometime in January". January is a long month people. There are 31 days!!! If we have to wait till January 8th that is 8 weeks. January 28th would be 11 weeks from now!!!!!!! 11 weeks!!!!

I some how need to find a way to distract myself. And I think I am going to be taking down my desktop photo at work tomorrow. I just can't quite do that anymore.

Knowing that Samuel is completely oblivious to this somehow helps a bit. I know he's probably just sleeping or eating or babbling to his caretakers right now... and one day we'll walk into his room and pick him up and become his parents.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dancin' Momma said...

Sending you lots of positive vibes. Take care of yourselves.

November 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Dennis Levesque said...

emily and mike. the pain and torment of parenting is universal. nobody but you knows this pain, but absence makes the heart grow fonder. you will be stronger parents for it. and only your boy will know the struggles you have endured for him. and he will love you for it. you are providing him with the best possible life. every new day is a day closer to him and every hurdle is a learning experience. this is what being a parent is all about. learning and being patient. patience is the hardest, i think. but we are women and we can do it. the next 11 weeks will fly with the holidays. your boy samuel will be in your arms soon, mama.
love erin

November 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh hun. Now I feel like a fool for that e-mail I sent to you earlier ... Maybe you should start scrapbooking? Knitting? Christmas baking?

November 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger hazel said...

Sometime in January... oh the vagueness, I can't stand it. Hopefully you keep getting such wonderful updates on Samuel as you wait.

November 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily Jayne
I was thinking why the hold up but then I was reading further and I wondered how the courts and legal structure works in Addis, how many judges do you figure there are working international adoption?
I hope for you and Mike for 8 weeks but I know if it is 11 weeks you will be strong because you have been strong throughout "your adoption journey" and everything happens for a purpose not a reason- And not only am I hoping for 8 weeks for you and Mike but also because that little boy is adorable and I AM REALLY excited to see and hold him (when you are ready of course).

November 13, 2008 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

I know your frustration, what does "sometime" mean - we are being told 7+ months for our referral, what the heck does "+" mean - 1 day, 1 week, 4 weeks...

Sending you positive court vibs.

Laura

November 14, 2008 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Hey future travel buddy, January sucks - I'm with you on that one. We got Jan 1st... so here's hoping that puts you near the beginning of the month too.

If we make it out to BC over Christmas... I say we meet up and find a fun way to thoroughly distract ourselves! All I'm saying is... this time I will NOT be stopping at only 3 mini-cupcakes. KEEP 'EM COMING!!!

November 14, 2008 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Dennis Levesque said...

wow... pain an torment! i am sorry for those words (i was in a crappy place apparently!). parenting is great, challenging, but great. you will love it. sorry for the drama. :) erin

November 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry the court got postponed! Dana's got some good ideas, you could try your hand at knitting again! (Julie's coming down in December... she can give you another lesson!!). Wouldn't that be cute... little knit booties!

November 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Sebrina Wilson said...

Sending positive vibes!!!!

November 20, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home