November 8, 2007

Positive Adoption Language

Alright everyone,

I think it is time for the educational part of the blog to begin....


A lot of these words are debatable in the adoption world, but I think that it is important to consider why they are negative or positive. I can't even count how many times I've been asked if and when we will have "children of our own". But don't worry, Mike and I are still getting used to the new vocabulary as well, so don't feel bad if you say the "wrong thing!"

Negative Language vs. Positive Language

real mom/parent --------- birth mom/parent
own child --------------- biological child (all our children are our own!)
give up/give away-------- place a child/make an adoption plan
adoptive parent---------- parent
is adopted--------------- was adopted
mixed race-------------- interracial

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

November 10, 2008 at 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home